Museo Lázaro Galdiano
The Lázaro Galdiano Museum originates after the generous donation of all the patrimonial heritage to the Spanish State of José Lázaro Galdiano in September 22nd, 1947. This collection was made by 13.000 pieces of art, the palace which was home to all the pieces, the editorial headquarters of his editorial, La España Moderna and a library with 20.000 volumes. After this donation, the state created the Lázaro Galdiano Fundation to administrate all this legacy, which was stablished as a charity public foundation with full autonomy and as a self- reliant legal entity created by law in July 17th of 1948. January 27th of 1951, the Museo Lázaro Galdiano opened its doors to public, fulfilling Lázaro Galdiano’s wish that his collection would take part in the intellectual education of future generations.
One of the museum objectives is based on the enrichment of the quality of life of people through conservation and dissemination of José Lazaro Galdiano’s legacy, encouraging education and culture, taking into account the society collaboration in the development of our cultural and educational programs. In accordance to our mission, the Fundación Lázaro Galdiano commits with society to integrate art in people’s lives, bring scientific knowledge to everybody, to educate in art, to become a reference in art collections, and to be someone’s institution and not just an institution full of things.
Jara Díaz (Ms)
Amparo López (Dr)